Healthy Appetizer Recipe: Bell Pepper-Stuffed MushroomsThe Breast Cancer Site
It’s always nice to find new ways to introduce vegetables (in a tasty way) into your diet and these pepper-stuffed mushrooms are a great example! These nutrient-packed bites taste great and are a breeze to put together, making them the perfect recipe for entertaining; unlike carb-heavy snacks, you can indulge in several of these mushrooms without the guilt! Also, popping these in the oven before the fun starts, means you don’t have to be in the kitchen at the last minute, frantically preparing something complicated while people minglerelax, go chat with friends and family, and grab a stuffed mushroom while they’re hot!
- 18 large Cremini mushrooms
- 2 yellow peppers, finely diced
- 2 red peppers, finely diced
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly spray baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Soak mushrooms in a large bowl of cool water and gently scrub them of any dirt. Remove from water and chop the stems. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and saute peppers and mushroom stems. About 8 minutes, or until softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms top side down on baking sheet and spoon 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable filling into center holes. (Or as much as can fit.)
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, place in oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is bubbly.
- Let cool 5 minutes and serve warm.