Whole-Roasted Mustard CauliflowerDecatur Macpherson
You may not have thought of this before, but consider a whole cauliflower the next time your family feels like a fun-to-eat vegetable. Instead of your typical cauliflower and broccoli side dish, put the entire cauliflower in your oven for an hour to create a tasty dish that’ll have people raving! Coated in spices to give this (normally bland) vegetable a new “wow” factor, this recipe taste great and is also good for you, so your kids can have a nutritious vegetable for dinner or an afternoon snack. Instead of begging your family to eat their veggies, you’ll have them begging for more! At least, that’s what happened to us…
1 hour to prepare, serves 4
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- Cut leaves from around the cauliflower, and cut out the center core to create a flat surface for cauliflower to balance, making sure to leave the head intact.
- Rub vegetable oil over cauliflower and season generously with salt. Transfer to a baking sheet or pie dish and roast for 45 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, grainy mustard, chili powder and cumin in a small bowl. Set aside until cauliflower finishes baking.
- Remove cauliflower from oven and brush olive oil mustard mixture all over. Let rest 5 minutes, so the mixture can soak into the surface.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or other herbs, then cut into four pieces and serve hot.